Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grants Program (PCMNCG)
Our mission is to sponsor and sustain educational and charitable activities for the advancement and benefit of scientific endeavor.
The Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (a Pennsylvania non-profit Corporation) and its co-sponsoring technical societies, The Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP) and The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) proudly announce the 2014 Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grants (PCMNCG) Program.
Grants will be awarded to small college science departments for the purchase of scientific equipment, audio-visual or other teaching aids, and/or library materials for use in the teaching of science at the undergraduate level.
Application & Eligibility Requirements
Based on anticipated funds, we expect that at least ten (10) colleges will be selected to receive grants. The amount requested in each proposal may not exceed $10,000.
To be eligible for an award, schools must meet the following criteria.
- Enrollment must not exceed 5000 full-time students
- No more than 25% of the operating budget may come from national or state governments. Two-year community colleges sponsored by political subdivisions of a state are not bound by criteria one and two
- Requests for materials to be used only for research purposes will not be funded
- Awards may be used as part of “Matching Grant” programs; use of matching funds to increase the overall impact of the grant will be considered in the evaluation of proposals and is highly encouraged
- Schools are ineligible for the PCMNCG program for a three-year period following receipt of the PCMNCG grant (award recipient colleges from 2011, 2012 and 2013 are not eligible for the 2014 program) See list of previous winners
Faculty members are urged to participate by obtaining an application form and submitting an original no later than October 1, 2013 to:
The Pittsburgh Conference – PCMNCG
300 Penn Center Blvd., Suite 332
Pittsburgh, PA 15235-5503
Fax: (412) 825-3224
The net proceeds generated by Pittcon, sponsored by The Society of Analytical Chemists (SACP) and The Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP), are used to promote science education at all levels. The Pittsburgh Conference Memorial National College Grants (PCMNCG) Program is one aspect of the efforts of the Pittcon volunteers and the sponsoring societies to support science education.
This year, the maximum funding available for each grant is $10,000.
Last year we received approximately 50 proposals from small colleges and universities who met our requirements. Each proposal was reviewed by members of our evaluation committee, made up of members of the SACP and SSP.
Strong proposals had the following characteristics (in no particular order):
- Good development and organization
- PCMNCG funds leveraged by matching contributions from the university or another source
- Specific examples of how the requested equipment would be integrated into the science programs
- Requested equipment and materials impact a large number of students
- Brief descriptions of specific experiments that demonstrated broad use of the equipment
Examples of equipment and instruments funded in previous years are listed below. In some cases, more than one school requested a particular type of instrument.
- AA Spectrometer
- UV/VIS Detector for HPLC plus columns
- Gas Chromatograph, Software and Supplies
- Human Muscular Torsos
- UV/VIS Spectrophotometer
- Automated Pipettes
- NMR Workstations and Software
- 1H/13C Dual-Channel NMR Probe
- FTIR Software Upgrade and Spectral Libraries
- Camera and Software for a Fluorescence Microscope
2013 PCMNCG Recipients
College of St. Scholastica
Des Moines, IA
St. Mary’s College of Maryland
St Mary’s City, MD
St. Mary’s University of Minnesota
Previous PCMNCG Recipients